Image may contain: Court, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora, Dome, Building, Architecture

Mental Health Services available at the University of Birmingham

Help is always available, you just need to know where to look for it.

I think we can all agree that student life can be stressful at times, whether it's a looming deadline, you are missing home, or you have just misplaced your student ID at Fab. However big or small your problems may seem, it is important to remember that your mental health should take priority over everything else, which is why it is important to familiarise yourself with the welfare services that UoB provide.

Welfare Tutors/ Wellbeing Officers

Within the University, each School has their own Welfare Tutor(s) or Wellbeing Officer(s), who you can turn to if you need practical and emotional support. They would be your first point of reference if you feel like you are experiencing problems that are interfering with your work.

To find the contact details for your Welfare Tutor(s) or Wellbeing Officer(s), click here

Student Support Drop-ins

If you feel like you require immediate face-to-face guidance, or you just need to be advised to the correct service, you can go to the Mental Health and Wellbeing drop-in sessions that take place from Monday- Friday in the Aston Webb Student Hub. The wellbeing advisors will guide you to the most appropriate internal or external service available to you. This service works on a first-come-first-served basis, so arrive early.

To find out the timings for these sessions, click here

Workshops and Groups

If you don't feel like you need one-on-one support, or you just feel more comfortable in a group environment, the university offers a variety of workshops and groups. These sessions cover a wide range of issues, from struggling to settle into uni life to relaxation.

For any questions about this service, email:

[email protected] or call 0121 414 5130

Personalised Mental Health and Wellbeing Support

If you feel like you want to take a different approach towards your mental wellbeing, the university provides personalised support from wellbeing practioners and counsellors. In order to access these services, you have to complete an online registration form. Once you are registered, the university will assess your needs and offer you an appropriate service.

To read more about the personalised services that the university offer, click here.

Online Support

Sometimes the prospect of having to meet someone face-to-face to discuss your issues can be daunting. In this instance, the online support that the university provides can become extremely valuable. You can contact a counsellor/ wellbeing practioner via email or uisng the instant messenger function on Skype

This allows you to be flexible with the times in which you wish to contact your counsellor/ wellbeing practioner and could be extremely useful if you feel like you can't make it into university but you still want a 'face-to-face' conversation.

To find out more information about the online support, click here.

Self-help Guides

If you don't want to have to interact with anyone, or can't find the time to register for the personalised support, the university provided self-help guides could be a great starting point. The guides are written by clinical psychologists and provide suggestions for ways in which you can begin to make beneficial changes. They cover a range of issues and are easily accessible and are easy to use. Each guide is also available as an audiofile, which can be useful if you are always on the go, or if you just have a hard time concentrating.

To view the self-help guides, click here.

examples of some of the self-help guides provided.

Nightline

If you ever feel alone, or you just need someone to talk to, Nightline is a student led service which operates over the phone and provides a confidential listening and information service. For more information on how to contact them, click here.

UOB Disability & Mental Health Association (DAMSA)

The society represent all student who are affected by various conditions. They offer a number off talks and events throughout the year which offer a safe space for students struggling with any problems to be included.

For more information, see their Facebook page.

UOB Mental Health and Wellbeing Society (MHAWBS)

This brand new society holds a number of welcoming events throughout the year designed to allow students to 'connect, talk, support and learn about mental health'.

For more information about their events, like their Facebook page.

Image may contain: Saucer, Pottery, Soup Bowl, Bowl, Coffee Cup, Cup

MHAWBS hold a fortnightly Tea and Talk

Please remember that although seeking help may be overwhelming, these services are available to allow you to continue being the best version of you. Taking care of your mental health and wellbeing is essential to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Happy World Mental Health Day!