UoB is going to be a pilot site for new West Midlands bike-share scheme

Free memberships will be available to students

Hide Images

It has been announced this week that the University of Birmingham will be hosting a trial of a proposed bike-share scheme.

imagine cycling round pretty campus

Hosting 'several stations' around the university campus, it will be the UK's largest docked bike-share scheme outside of London.

The pilot will offer staff and students free trial memberships in exchange for their feedback when the scheme launches.

It is part of a wider proposal to introduce such schemes across the West Midlands, with 2,000 bikes being installed across Birmingham, Coventry, and Wolverhampton in September.

Further phases may see 3,000 more bikes being introduced to areas including Walsall, Dudley, and Solihull in 2019.

At full price, annual membership will cost £30, with the bikes being available for use 24 hours a day. This means that members could make use of the bikes for as little as 8 pence per day.

The university already offers long term bike hire, car sharing, and bus discounts, with UoB's website boasting that the scheme 'further improves the university's sustainable travel options'.