How to love yourself this Valentine’s Day

Because who else do you have to love?

14th february dating love single the tab the tab birmingham the tab brum university of birmingham UoB valentines valentines day

Everyone has an opinion on Valentines Day. You either love it, hate it, feel indifferent or believe it’s a grossly commercialised ‘holiday’ constructed to get more money out of our student-debt pockets because, capitalism.

But putting the consumer-driven aspect of Valentines Day aside, it is a holiday that seems to decisively categorise us all into either an in-love couple, the single, and those of us who want to hide in bed all day and stuff grotesques amounts of food into our mouth. And that’s okay! Because whether you’re single or not,  it’s always important to remember the most important person to love is yourself. And why not learn to love yourself this V-Day? Whether you have someone else or not, it’s still important.

So, if you want to learn how to not hate yourself when you’re binge eating ice-cream and watching (insert stereotypical rom-com women watch on Valentines), this is the article for you:

1.Remember, you are awesome.

Although cliché, its important to remember how great you are and all the amazing-ness you emulate out into the world. And if you don’t think you are amazing, just watch an interview with Donald Trump and remember, at least you’ll never be as shit as him.

2. Treat yo’ self

By eating a grotesque amount of food! Or is that just me… Well, do something that makes YOU feel good. Whether that be going to the movies, splurging on your favourite meal, or even making use of that gym membership you got at the beginning of the year to help with your new years resolution, you do whatever complete your hearts desire.

3. Cook a meal

If you don’t have the money to splurge on a cheeky Nandos, or takeaway, not to worry! Why not try cooking your favourite meal? The sense of accomplishment will definitely help with the self loathing.

4. Eat TONS of chocolate!

Because, “life is like a box of chocolates.” And if you are a introverted recluse like me, you can not only buy chocolate but a side order of A LIFE a well.

5. Buy yourself a beautiful bouquet (or two, or three) of flowers

Plus, if you put name cards under each flower, you can pretend you have many suitors falling at your feet.

6. Have a pamper day!

We all look like serial killers with face masks on. But, at least it’ll make you feel confident after and ready to meet all those potential suitors who sent you flowers.

7. Spend time with family and friends

There is no one who loves you more than your family and friends. Spending time with those who unconditionally love you is a great way to remind yourself why you are an amazing human being. Or go clubbing with your friends and get blackout drunk on VKs.

Valentine’s day can be hard, but give yourself a little loving and you’ll be fine!