Brum Rugby Varsity 2017: Results

UoB Sport triumphed against the Medics

birmingham lions brum medics rugby sport the tab the tab birmingham the tab brum university of birmingham universityof birmingham UoB varsity

This year’s Rugby Varsity between the University of Birmingham Rugby Football Club (UBRFC) and the Medics Rugby team saw thousands descend on Bournbrook pitches. Arguably the most anticipated Varsity match of the year culminated in a dominant 26-7 victory for UBRFC. The night also had performances from the UoB Bhangra society and the Birmingham Pussycats Cheerleading squad.

The calm before the storm

The atmosphere at the game was intense to say the least. Having lost last years game to the Medics, the Lions were keen to exact revenge, which they comfortably achieved. The Lions scored tries in the fifth, 21st, 35th and 68th minutes with all but the final try being converted. The Medics persevered, and managed to salvage some points with a try and conversion with 4 minutes remaining, but ultimately it was too little too late.

Red Bull brought along their mobile DJ booth

Even half-time was dramatic, after many students were disappointed to find that only a handful of Fab tickets were available despite previous thoughts that there would be more available. After stampeding towards the car park fighting to get a ticket, many spectators left to start drinking early to prepare for danger Fab – we can’t say we blame them.

Money can buy happiness and it starts at £5

Overall it was a performance for the UBRFC to be proud of, and it was great to see so many spectators at the game cheering on their respective sides. The numbers drawn are extremely encouraging for sports teams at Birmingham and lead on from the great turnouts at other UBSport events such as International Rules and xpLosION.