Meet the UoB fresher who’s donated her bone marrow

She’s only 18 and she’s already saved a life

anthony nolan birmingham the tab the tab bham the tab birmingham the tab brum university of birmingham UoB

Most university newbies spend their freshers weeks getting drunk but for 18 year old Amy Rodgers, her version of events over the past couple of weeks have been a little different.

University of Birmingham Fresher, Amy, donated her bone marrow to someone she’s never met – she knows nothing about them except that they need help.

The Anthony Nolan charity matches incredible individuals willing to donate their blood stem cells or bone marrow to those with various cancers or blood disorders who need lifesaving transplants.

The charity visited Amy’s college in 2014 to talk with the students about some of the great affects donating bone marrow can have on those in need. Amy said: “I decided to sign myself up for it ‘just because’, I thought that my spare bone marrow could actually save someone’s life and that seemed pretty amazing.”

Then, in June 2016 Amy received a text from the charity which stated that they might have found her a match.

Amy told the Tab: “The Anthony Nolan Charity certainly don’t push or force people into volunteering. After receiving that text, they were always making sure and double checking that I was still willing to go ahead with things.”

Whilst Amy was on holiday in September earlier this year, she received the call to confirm she was a match and that the procedure would take place this month.

Amy said: “The charity is just brilliant. Zia, who is the donor co-ordinator is so lovely. She’s the sort of person who I can just ring up for a chat and she’ll explain everything in detail to me. My parents are just so proud of me and so supportive and my mum wants to be there every step of the way.”

Amy spent two nights in hospital before returning to her hometown in Nottingham to rest. She described the procedure as “quick and simple.”

She added: “Someone from The Anthony Nolan Charity came to visit me in hospital after my operation, she brought me a goody bag with a t-shirt, badge/pin, bottle opener, a stress ball in the shape of a bone which was pretty neat!

“What I did wasn’t difficult, and took just a few days of my life and can potentially save the rest of someone else’s.”

Amy, who is expected to return to university this week, also said: “I knew nothing about the charity until they came to my college. Its important people spread awareness because it’s such an easy thing to do and it could potentially save somebodies life.”

To join the Anthony Nolan register, you must be 16-30 and healthy. About 2,000 people in the UK need a stem cell transplant every year, sign yourself up and save a life.