Birmingham City Uni to offer degree in ‘Black Studies’

It will be the first university in Europe to do so

BCU birmingham Birmingham City University the tab the tab birmingham the tab brum

Birmingham City University (BCU) is set to make history, becoming the first university in Europe to offer a degree in “Black Studies”.

The undergrad BA Honours degree will be launched this coming September, and will explore the histories, social movements, and contributions of people of African descent.

BCU. The other uni in Birmingham

Dr Kehinde Andrews, Associate Professor in Sociology at the university, has been involved with the setting up of this new degree.

Speaking of the course, he said: “The new degree offers students a critical understanding of British and global society, international study abroad opportunities and experiences working to improve conditions in communities.”

BCU already has an international reputation for research in this area, having recently undertaken projects exploring subjects such as the influence of pop culture on young black British women.

Dr Andrews noted the relevance of Birmingham as a centre of such study. He said: “Birmingham is the perfect place to launch Black Studies, being one of Europe’s most diverse cities, with a strong history of community activism and engagement.”

He also described how the opportunity to study such courses is long overdue in the UK. Dr Andrews added: “For too long UK Universities have overlooked the experiences and perspectives of those in the African diaspora.

“The contributors of black scholars, activists and communities have not been recognised, creating a limited curriculum.

“Student movements have recently demonstrated this across the country, complaining of a “narrow knowledge” in universities, including the “Why is my curriculum white?” campaign.”

Students who are interested in the course can find out more information at the BCU open day, which will take place on Saturday the 11th of June.