Could study drugs help us with our degree?

We’ll all be like the guy from limitless, right?

birmingham tab no selly oak smart drugs the tab birmingham uni yes

It’s the early hours of the morning. You’re still in the library, barely awake with only a few hours left to finish your coursework. A yawn escapes and you survey the rest of the room. How can some people seem so fresh and focused in the middle of the night after working for hours on end? Some may just be naturally full of energy and intelligence all the time – whereas others could potentially be taking a little bit extra to give them that well-needed boost. Here’s where smart drugs come in. Can they really be your saviour at uni? Can they get you those desired firsts and allow you to really make the most of your degree? I decided to explore these questions and see whether the most popular smart drugs can help you revise and smash your assignments.

Modafinil

Many describe this drug as giving the user ‘tunnel vision’, allowing you to complete the most tedious and challenging tasks without breaking a sweat. Despite many thinking it will increase your work quality and get you that first, it’s more of a pill that will make the year round lazy student be able to handle coursework stress and meet that looming deadline. It isn’t as beneficial to revise on – the information just doesn’t seem to stick. Be wary – it can temporarily add an orange tinge to your skin making you look like an extra from Towie. There will also be plenty of trips to the toilet and frequent visits to the iLounge in search for water to cure the desert in your mouth. Caffeine is definitely a no and will bring on a monster headache. If taken, be prepared not to sleep for a while.

Noopept

Noopept is a Russian prescribed drug that improves memory, focus and learning capacity. It can be purchased in pill form and in power form. It is the fastest acting study drug, achieving maximum concentration in around 15 minutes, so be prepared to glue on those headphones soon after taking it. Unlike other study drugs, Noopept actually increases the amount of oxygen in the brain which is why some users feel a sense of clarity. The effects last for around four-six hours. This is by far the most effective to smash a deadline and to actually revise on. Noopept still gives you enough energy to finish that dissertation, grab a few VKs AND get a good nights sleep! Seems unbelievable right?

Adrafinil

Originally this was produced in France but was discontinued voluntarily in 2011. The best way to describe it is a mix between Pro Plus and Modafinil. However unlike Modafinil it takes at least an hour to take effect, and that’s on an empty stomach. The main advantage of Adrafinil is that you don’t feel tired, without the jittery feel you get from other stimulants – so people in the library won’t actively avoid you due to the tweaky vibe your giving off.

The verdict

There are many study drugs that can be found online easily. It doesn’t matter whether its Adderall or another complicated name which no one understands – just don’t bother taking them. Yeah there are obvious benefits, but is it really the miracle needed to get a good grade and avoid disappointing your parents with a third? There is no point indulging unless time is really an issue. With exams coming up steady revision will always be the best route rather than spending 50 hours in the library then crashing for two days. You can also become dependent and it seriously messes with your sleeping pattern. Now – stop reading this looking for shortcuts, grab an espresso from the Muirhead Tower, and do some work.