Birmingham voted a better city to live in than Hong Kong, Miami and Dubai

Can’t touch this

Birmingham is a better place to live than a series of magnificent cities including Hong Kong, Miami and Dubai, according to a recent news report.

Financial services firm Mercer compared 230 across the world in terms of “quality of life” and placed Birmingham coming 53rd alongside Rome.

Brum was ranked higher than the other UK cities Glasgow (55), Aberdeen (59) and Belfast (64) that were on the list.

Only London and Edinburgh were the UK cities featuring higher in the study.

Birmingham’s beautiful skyline

The top 3 places to live included Vienna in Austria, Zurich in Switzerland and Auckland in New Zealand.

Meanwhile Baghdad in Iraq, Bangui in Central Africa and Sana’a in Yemen were found to be the worst cities to live in.

Chief executive of Marketing Birmingham, Neil Rami said: “These rankings also play a crucial part in attracting new businesses to the city.

“We will be showcasing our quality of life credentials at this year’s MIPIM real estate exhibition and engaging with global investors and organisations looking to work with a city that can offer the best business environment they need to grow.”

According to researchers, Birmingham beat cities like Hong Kong

The study was conducted by Mercer, a financial services firm where they measured living conditions based on political, cultural and social environment, education, health, personal safety, recreation and housing in hundreds of major cities.

As a result of this research, inward investment will be attracted into the city with businesses shifting their work to new cities often using Mercer data to come to decisions.

Ellyn Karetnick, head of Mercer’s International Mobility Practice in the UK, stated: “Quality of living standards remain high across UK and European cities, making them attractive destinations for multinational businesses and their employees. In Europe and beyond terrorist attacks and incidences of civil unrest are closely monitored and analysed, and any impact on quality of living for expatriates is reflected in the rankings.”