Police release helpful list of safety tips following Selly Oak attacks

They also said two mobile phones and a laptop have been stolen

Following the muggings in Selly Oak  last week the police have released their statement and provided advice for students staying safe.

It has now been confirmed the  muggings occurred on Hubert Road, Dawlish Road, Warwards Lane and Westminster Road.

Victims involved in the attacks have all described being threatened by two or three black men in their late teens/early twenties and wearing black clothing and ski masks.

In total two mobile phones and a laptop were stolen.

Sergeant Matthew Crowley from Birmingham South police said: “We take this type of crime extremely seriously. We have increased patrols in the area and are working closely with university wardens.

“I would urge anyone with any information about these robberies to get in touch.

“People that do not want to speak with police officers can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

They have also given the following safety advice and tips to help keep safe:

• While walking be discreet on the street, keep your phone and other valuables out of sight.
Stay alert – don’t let headphones block out traffic, strangers or potential trouble.
Make sure to listen to your instincts, know your route, avoid dark places and if you don’t feel safe, move to a busier area.
Never let a stranger use your phone. If it is an emergency, dial 999 on their behalf.
Make sure to note down your phones unique IMEI number – you will need this number to report a stolen phone. To find you IMEI number key *#06# into your mobile and it will display it.
Mark your postcode and door number in UV pen on your phone.
Register for free at immobilise.com to help get a lost or stolen phone back.
If your phone is stolen block your phone – contact your network provider or call 08701 123 123.
To trace lost or stolen phones activate their in-built tracker app (you can do this via iCloud.com for iPhones), or by downloading a reputable one from your app store.