Walkabout is finally getting a complete makeover

There will be ‘VIP party areas’

Aussie Bar bar birmingham Bristol broad street club Freshers I Love Tom's Mum night out Renovation Walkabout

Aussie hot spot Walkabout is getting a full-blown makeover costing £450,000.

You may have only been that one time in Fresher’s when an “I Love Tom’s Mum” night was included in your freshers’ fest ticket or as part of an overpriced bar crawl, but the manager has high hopes for the brand new refurbishment.

According to the general manager David Hancocks, Walkabout has always been a top night and this refurb is only to make it even better: “We’ve always been famous for legendary party nights, fun, live music, sport and great food, but now we’ve got a totally transformed venue to make things even better.”

The refurb seeks to make Walkabout even classier than it was previously – you can now book a table and even order Pieminister pies from the new menu. Fancy.

Yes it’s true! Even classier!

If you truly are a fan of Walkabout and the bargain drinks (£1.50 for a snakebite – yes that’s correct), it’ll only be two weeks before the renovation is complete and you can get back in there.

Changes will be made to the interior and exterior and we will see the end of the iconic green and gold decor but the introduction of new VIP and private party areas.

Walkabout in Bristol underwent a similar renovation and so we can expect the Broad Street bar to look somewhat similar with neon lights and a surfer-style theme.

Walkabout in Bristol. (Image courtesy of the Birmingham Mail)

Faye White, a final year English student, thinks the renovations will be an improvement but “it’s still only going to attract Aussies in Birmingham or those morning the loss of their working holiday visa or year abroad and I wouldn’t go there.”

She confesses: “I once drank a whole bottle of ketchup on a night out at Walkabout” – and perhaps it’s this sort of vibe that means Walkabout will never be properly amazing.”

It’s definitely put off Suzie Stone, an Anthropology and African Studies student, who added: “If it’s the kind of place where I might drink a bottle of some kind of condiment I might skip.”

The new Walkabout will be opening with a VIP party from 5pm on Australia Day, which this year falls on Tuesday 26th January.