Sam Jackson to play Jamnesty concert for charity

He had a show at the O2 Academy

Sam Jackson and other music and comedy acts will play the Jamnesty charity gig tomorrow night in aid of Amnesty International.

Brum’s Amnesty International society are holding their annual Jamnesty gig tommorrow night at the Bristol Pear. The gig will include a variety of music, comedy and magic acts including New Street Record’s Sam Jackson, DJ Jasper Bird and comedy from Taylor Herbert, an exchange student from New Orleans.

Amnesty Society’s president Freda Crook said: “Amnesty International Society have put on this event for the last seven years at the Pear. There has been a long standing link between Amnesty and music, and  Amnesty have been known to put on massive concerts, bringing in huge performers like Bruce Springsteen, U2 and Bryan Adams.

“Most Amnesty groups run Jamnesty every Christmas as part of a major fundraising campaign. We chose to run this kind of fundraiser rather than an event like a bake sale because it’s a great way to celebrate our first term and it gives our society members a chance to get to know each other and make new friends.”

Sam Jackson recently played at the O2 Academy

The host for the event, Izzy Lee-Poulton said that the night promises a great variety of acts.

Izzy added: “There will be music from DJ Jasper Bird, Dame, Rohit and Grace and New Street Records’ Sam Jackson headlining the night. There will also be comedy acts from Sam Arrowsmith, Taylor Herbert and Chris Austin and magic from magician Joe Daunt.”

The society are expecting a good turn out on the night. Freda said: “Every year lots of new and old members of Amnesty International Society come to the Pear to celebrate our achievements as a society over the past seven years, even those who have graduated. It usually brings in a lot of people.”

The funds raised on the night will go to Amnesty International, a non profit organisation who campaign to end abuses of human rights.

Freda added: “The money raised from the night will go to central Amnesty, who then decide where the funds are needed most.”

DJ Jasper Bird will be spinning the decks for charity

Amnesty always welcomes new members, and Freda told readers of The Tab how they can get involved.

“If you’d like to get involved with Amnesty International, simply come along to one of our meetings, every Wednesday at 6pm in the Mandela room of the Guild. You can also email us at [email protected].”

For more information, join the Facebook group and make sure to check out the gig at the Pear tomorrow night.