Culottes are the best thing a girl can wear this winter

Are they trousers? Is it a skirt?

| UPDATED culottes fashion hate love selly oak student the tab birmingham the tab brum victoria beckham

If you haven’t grabbed yourself a pair of culottes yet, you’re missing out on a whole new level of effortless chic.

The cropped trousers – often described as an “ugly pair of ill-fitting trousers” – were first worn in the 18th Century. Designed as trousers which looked like a skirt, they were for girls who rode horses and played tennis. It first made its comeback last spring, and has been a fashion staple ever since.

Although the trend has suffered a plunge, the culottes comeback could be seen as the best thing to happen in the 20th Century. You can dress it up with a button down shirt or down with a band tee and sneakers. Either way, you will feel and look posh like Posh herself.

Mrs Beckham wannabe

The fashion world has a lot to say about culottes, with some calling them “a trend made to die” – but like every other trend, they’ve got their fair share of fans and haters. As a feminist, I think culottes were a symbol of power for women a 100 years ago and this doesn’t mean it isn’t one today. Just because you’re still in your teens, it doesn’t mean you can’t dress sophisticated and serious. Culottes are the perfect cross between channeling your inner Blair Waldorf and Rihanna.

If you’re one of those people who love rocking the joggers trend to lectures then culottes are definitely for you. While I appreciate people taking the effort to make wearing sweatpants “fashionable”, let’s face it: you were too lazy to put on clothes in morning.

With a pair of culottes in your closet, you can say goodbye to looking like every other lazy person on campus. A simple and easy way to look like a million bucks with pyjama like comfort. People may think you’re crazy for falling in love with them but here’s to hoping the culottes trend stays. It’s time to move on the newer and more aesthetically pleasing ways to dress comfy.

Rock those culottes girl

Whether you’re wearing them to class or even for a night out, rock those culottes like no other girl. Harry Winston himself said “people will stare. Make it worth their while”.