GMTG’s RENT is one of the best plays they’ve put on yet

Pitch perfect and emotionally powerful

AIDS plau rent review

If you aren’t much of a musical theatre fan, you’re probably not that familiar with RENT. 

The award-winning rock musical is loosely based around a Puccini operaand follows the lives of a group of young artists living in New York’s East Village. They’re struggling to make a living through art, all while trying not to sell their soul to the corporate demons, falling in love under the shadow of the AIDS crisis, and ultimately living la vie bohème.

Strike a pose

The show’s sensitive subject matter surrounding AIDS and lovers suffering from the disease was beautifully portrayed through the extraordinary and moving performance of James Kitching, who played the cross-dressing and fabulous Angel, and Tom Hazell as Collins.

The show’s portrayal of homosexual relationships is bold and uncompromising, with Alice Edwards and Ami Love’s sassy rendition of “Take Me or Leave Me” one of many highlights.

So emosh

Aside from the main cast, we were treated to so many outstanding moments where the whole cast joined together in gorgeous harmonies, especially in the show’s opening number Rent. The ensemble provided a great backdrop to the main action, but also had their own moments to shine, notably Amy Churchman’s solo during the show’s most famous song Seasons of Love.

Every cast member excelled, with Callum Livermore and Emily Anderson’s portrayals of Roger and Mimi emotionally charged and strong, and many tears were shed during the show’s closing moments (no spoilers).

In all, you can’t fault the performance, with the set design, costume, and quality of performance all absolutely stunning. The show has now been cemented as one of the best musicals I’ve yet to see in a professional capacity, and GMTG’s rendition was definitely awe-inspiring.

Photos: Michael Jevon Photography