Students fear for their safety after spate of burglaries in The Vale

Unemployed robber ransacked halls

| UPDATED birmingham Freshers maple bank robbery shackleton the vale theft university of birmingham UoB

Terrified freshers are scared to leave their halls unattended after a series of burglaries.

Thousands of pounds worth of goods, including bikes, laptops and jewellery, were nicked and windows were smashed by a greedy robber wanting to lay his hands on the valuables.

The robberies took place between Monday 26th January and Wednesday 28th, in Maple Bank, Shackleton and Tennis Courts.

A window in Tennis Courts was shattered as the thief punched through it to steal a laptop.

Robber targeted Tennis Courts

The West Midlands Police have recently caught the culprit and said: “A man has appeared in court charged with a series of burglaries at Birmingham University student accommodation.

“Unemployed Ricky Woolaston, 34, from Slade Road in Erdington was arrested on Friday 30th January after detectives launched an investigation.

“He was later charged with five burglaries and he appeared before Birmingham Magistrates Court on January 31st.”

The incident has clearly had a profound effect on residents who fear for their safety.

James Edwards, a first year Economics student, said: “You think halls are out of the way and this sort of thing doesn’t happen, but now you don’t feel quite as safe anymore.”

A gloomy time for freshers

Ollie Foster, a first year international relations student, also said: “We can’t put better locks on the doors or bar the windows, but unless they were sitting in their rooms watching their things, they couldn’t have done anything about it being stolen.”

It is important to ensure doors are fully closed and locked when leaving and entering their accommodation in order to prevent any further thefts.