Birmingham tops the tables once again for sport

We’re sporting mad

Birmingham has always been a top uni for sport, and now a new survey has confirmed it.

Which? University Student Study ranked Brum in the top 12 UK universities for sport, along with rivals Bath, Loughborough and Durham.

It comes as no great surprise that Birmingham has proved so popular considering the phenomenal responses to major sports events such as xpLosION last month, in which Brum reigned victorious over its Hertfordshire rivals.

Courtesy of Peter Saxon

Results were taken from 119 institutions, and students’ responses were used to calculate the UK’s top performers.

One second year Maths student pointed out sports teams welcome anyone.

They said: “Lots of time is given at the start of the year for beginners’ sessions on a wide variety of sports, many of them free, and you can sign up for as many as you like at the sports fair during Freshers’ Week.”

Courtesy of Peter Saxon

Cheerleader Amelia agrees: “Sport at Birmingham is great as it adds structure to my week, keeps me fit and a motivated individual.

“Through Birmingham we have gained so many more opportunities such as cheering for different sports teams this year, including the Badminton which was shown on sky sports.

“I love it.”