Gelato’s ice cream parlour is open for business

Your day just got sweeter

Move over Cheeky Joe’s, nothing could be sweeter than Gelato’s.

Selly Oak has long been infamous for its impressive variety of chicken and chip shops. But now, there’s a new kid on Bristol Road.

His name? Mr Gelato. His profession? Ice cream – but not as we know it.

Two weeks ago Mr Gelato opened its doors to sweet-toothed students and locals alike.

With an impressive 36 different flavours, ranging from mint choc-chip to the more exotic ferroro roche, pistachio and bubblegum, it’s ice cream heaven.

But this isn’t your bog standard Ben and Jerry’s: Gelato’s gelato is traditionally Italian instead of American, so there’s no air whipped into the cream.

Staff are trained for two weeks prior to starting to ensure traditional Italian methods are employed correctly in order to deliver the tasty treat properly.

Owner Mr Gelato said: “Selly Oak seemed ideal for my target market – university students.

“We’re already pretty busy, despite only opening at the start of November.

“Bubblegum and mint in particular seem to be the most popular flavours, but my favourite is pistachio.”

He added: “All of our staff trained in Italy for around two weeks.

“We make our ice cream here in Birmingham, however the ingredients and method are exactly the same as that in Italy.

“We have 36 flavours overall, all of which you’d find in Italy.”

Yum

Despite the lack of marketing or publicity, Gelato’s is already proving to be a big hit with the residents of Selly Oak.

It’s just below Urban Village and neighbouring Subway so students can curb their cravings at any time of day, whether it’s after two for one pints or a six inch steak and cheese that didn’t quite hit the spot (Gelato’s stays open ‘til a student-friendly 12am).

Third year English student Ella said: “The customer service was great and the whole place has a really nice vibe to it – perfect for a quick sugar fix after a long day of lectures.

“I had the Snickers and it was delicious!”

At £2 a scoop, it won’t leave you penniless either.

So get down to Bristol Road and sample the finest gelato that Selly Oak has to offer. The only problem you’re going to face is the queue of eager customers, but once you’ve tasted this gelato, it will all be worth the wait.

This is the kind of gelato that will take you back to old family holidays, days in the sun and sleepovers with your best friends. Don’t miss out.