The new chick on the block

Has Roosters been knocked off its perch? We think so

chicken fried chicken Pepe's roosters selly oak students university of birmingham

Salvation is at hand, in the form of piri piri chicken.

Too long have the students of Selly Oak been limited to Chicken.com and Roosters.

Too long have we awoken from our drunken slumber, only to be confined to the icy cell of the toilet all due to the meal that would be put to better use as an alternative to cyanide.

We deserve better.

And as if by some divine miracle, Pepe’s Piri Piri has answered our prayers.

Intrigued, we headed down to inspect the newcomer on the streets of Chicken Mecca.

The exterior in all its glory

Pepe’s Piri Piri opened on Saturday 25 October, and since then it has been rushed off its feet with ravenous students.

Our first impressions shouted low-budget Nando’s, and we were not mistaken.

They serve pittas, burgers, paninis, wings, strips, burrtios and the good old classic whole chicken – which does not in anyway, shape or form borrow from the menu of the nation’s number one spicy chicken restaurant.

But who cares if it’s a mimic. It’s brilliant, and right on our doorstep.

Anybody fancy a burrito?

The menu isn’t just tastier than the grease laden junk we’re used to either, it’s also healthier.

Manager Arshad Labal said: “The fresh chicken is marinated overnight, steamed and then grilled to make it the healthiest option yet.

“We definitely took the University’s enthusiastic sport community into consideration.”

It’s healthy guys, honest

He continued: “To be honest, I’m more worried about the sights we are bound to see.

“Last week two lads came in dressed as bananas. They ordered their food, ate and then fell asleep in the corner spooning one another until the shop closed.

“You guys get weird, it’s definitely going to be quite the experience running Pepe’s.”

Alongside good food that is actually edible sober, Pepe’s is immediately cleaner and more inviting than the rest of the chicken eateries.

They’ve spent a whopping £150,000 on the place, and boast an excellent hygiene record. We’re pretty sure even in the worst states of drunken depravity, we would all rather eat somewhere without fearing the meal will be our last.

The choice is endless!

Second year lawyer Emma Bergin said: “I love having Pepe’s on my doorstep.

“It’s definitely steady competition for the other Selly takeaways, watch out Roosters.”

Another student added: “It just seems a lot fresher than the other takeaways, and there’s loads of variety.”

They even have a Student Rewards Card which they stamp every time you visit, securing your undivided loyalty by lavishing you with free onion rings and chicken wings.

Maddie Ball (Second year Drama student) ‘I do love a bit of chicken’

When asked about the heated competition between the chicken eateries, Arshad appeared less than concerned.

He said: “So far other takeaways have been very welcoming, but they plan to up their game as the weeks go on to maintain the good reputation that they set out with.

“They know we’re now the competition.”

Is Pepe’s punching above the rest, or is Rooster’s still the big bird contender?

Let us know your thoughts at [email protected].