CoppaFeel! hits campus to raise awareness of breast cancer among students

You too boys

The time has come for all of us to CoppaFeel! of our boobs as one of the biggest breast cancer awareness charities hits campus.

Maddie Alterman, a third year History student, has brought the charity to Birmingham along with her designated “Boob Team” encouraging everyone to get stuck in and feel their breasts.

The charity allows students to sign up for a free text reminder service by texting UBTBirmingham to 70500 – and boys should be checking theirs too as breast cancer affects 350 men each year.

Maddie told The Tab she was inspired to launch the charity on campus after watching a documentary about CoppaFeel!’s founder Kris Hallenga.

She said:  “I wanted to get involved with this charity as opposed to any other one as it was exciting and targeting young people specifically.

“I didn’t realise breast cancer was so common in young people and that it affects both genders, with boys being diagnosed too.”

The Uni Boob Team have been fundraising throughout the month, as October is breast cancer awareness month.

Maddie added: “We have been doing a daily Instagram to our ‘Coppafeelbrum’ account to mark every day of the month, with sports teams, local Selly Oak BNOC’s and even Tab writers posing for photos.

“Also watch out for events around CoppaFeel! day, which is on October 31.

“It will be advertised on our Facebook page and Twitter feed and an upcoming night in collaboration with Propaganda in November.”

As well as the monthly free text reminder, Boux Avenue – the charity’s official sponsors – are offering a 20 per cent discount for anyone who signs up.

The nationwide charity was founded by Kris Hallenga after she was diagnosed with stage four breast cancer at just 23.

She wants to normalise breast checking and know what normal feels like for you, whether that’s marshmallowy, firm, perky or saggy.

CoppaFeel! strives to get rid of the stigma and misconceptions that surround breast cancer, and that is what Maddie and the team are trying to do, armed with their giant boobs.

And remember, get feeling those boobs and see what normal feels like for you.