Meet the student already more successful than you

It’s time to flaunt colourful accessories in style

While you were partying with lady boys in Thailand on your gap yah, this budding entrepreneur started his own clothing company.

One Birmingham student took a very different approach to his summer in Thailand, and while most of you returned with a pair of elephant print trousers and a photograph with a sedated tiger to show for your adventures, Ben Hayward returned home with something slightly more substantial.

In 2011, History and Geography student Ben bizarrely decided selling Guatemalan belts in the UK would be a good idea.

After finding the first box flew of the shelves, he decided the idea was worth pursuing. From the confines of his Mason abode, he hatched his business, and Bengo Belts was born.

A year down the line and Ben’s belts have gone down a storm. From Heeley Road to Shackleton, his eye-catching leathers are being sported by Birmingham’s trendiest.

And now plucky Ben can boast that his novel idea has made him one of the biggest importers and sellers of the belts in the UK.

His entrepreneurial ventures have even caught the eye of Made in Chelsea’s Jamie Laing- not a bad endorsement if ever there was one.

Starting at just £15 for one of these belts, the prices are very student friendly.  The best seller has to be the little suede number, which is always a popular choice round Christmas.

But it hasn’t always been plain sailing for Ben, whose attempt to launch snapbacks failed miserably a couple of years ago.

He told The Tab: “A couple of years ago we actually commissioned a load of snapbacks and tried to sell them alongside the belts.

“It failed pretty epically to generate any real interest, so I’ve been put off snapbacks ever since.

“I guess what I’m trying to say is if you want to wear a snapback with a Bengo Belt – make sure it is a Bengo snapback.”

He added: “I’m leaving all options open going forward as I don’t want to rule anything out. I do want to continue Bengo after I leave Uni though and I already have plans for a bigger belts selection as well as bags and other accessories.”

For more information visit www.bengobelts.com.