The Dos and Don’ts of Sports Initiations

When it comes to Sports Initiations, there’s a fine line between triumph and disaster

Love them or loathe them, here are a few tips everyone should know to help them through sports initiations

Don’t:

Dress to impress

Just DON’T

Get your photo taken

Although you may want to preserve the night (or be able to piece the events together the next morning) try to avoid the camera or you can kiss your political career goodbye.

The photos uploaded the following day with you slumped in the corner of Fab with a traffic cone on your head won’t be ones to show your Nan.

‘We are the future’

Be late

Tardiness may be accepted in lectures and seminars but NOT at your initiation.

A sign of great disrespect to the hospitable 3rd year who has kindly opened their doors for the evening’s festivities.

Expect consequences.

They were that late they didn’t have time to put shirts on…

Forget anything on the ‘shopping list’

Although the list of required items may make an interesting episode of ‘Ready, Steady, Cook’ make sure you bring them.

It may be okay to forget your essay deadlines but you really don’t want to be the only one there without a block of butter and a Wellington boot.

Let’s cook!

Do:

Embrace fancy dress

*Obviously observing the Guild of Student’s arbitrary policy.

A time honoured sporting tradition, become accustomed to seeing remnants of blue paint and faded ‘phallic symbols’ on team mates the training after Sports Night.

Even Monsters University have initiations

Have a bite to eat beforehand

It is always best to have something to line your stomach before your initiation.

The ‘buffet’ advertised won’t be vol-au-vents, chicken legs, cheesecakes…

Enjoy it while you can…

Drink “responsibly”

Newsflash! There will be alcohol at your Initiation so make sure you know your limits.

You don’t want to be known as ‘that’ Fresher.

No matter how successful you are as an athlete expect your Sports Awards speech to be accompanied with sounds of hurling from your fellow teammates.

We cant stop, we wont stop…lol jks

Go!

You will have a great time…even if you cannot remember it all.

Ah memories…good times, good times