Meet the freshers and their parents

‘She’s sensible…most of the time’

Freshers Freshers Week parent

Nervous parents give the cringiest advice, especially on the day you fly the nest and move to uni.

Name: Hamet

Parents: Suzanne and John

Studying: Nursing

Halls: Tennis Courts

From: Totnes, Devon

Suzanne: “I expect her to have lots of fun and meet new people. I think she’ll handle herself in Freshers’ Week.”

Hamet:  “I think this first week will feel a bit like I’m on holiday, and then it will be like, real.”

Name: Johnathan

Parent: Symes

Studying: International Relations with Political Science

Halls: Mason

From: Surrey

Symes: “I’ve been through Freshers’ Week myself and his brother has been through one too, so I know what it all entails. It’s probably much the same.

“It might seem a bit different because I’m a bit older and wiser but probably exactly the same.”

Johnathan: “It’ll probably be quite good fun. I’ve heard stories of people who’ve been through it and people who’ve already gone to uni from my school so I think it will be good.

“It’s going to be mostly social and not much work, probably.”

Name: Masud

Parent: Anwar

Subject: Chemical Engineering

Halls: Mason

From: Hailsham, East Sussex

Anwar: “Good grades, study hard- plenty of study, basically. I want to see the best results possible, like he has done in his A-levels, he got 3 A*s. I want to see him keeping up with that.”

Masud: “I’m just worried about running out of money!”

Name: Felix

Studying: Foundation Year

Halls: Mason

From: Hong Kong

Anonymous parent: “I just want him to be happy studying here.

“I’m just worried about him eating well, the weather here and him staying healthy.”

Name: Siya

Parent: Laura

Studying: Medicine

Halls: Jaratt Halls

From: Singapore

Laura: “As long as she has a good time, settles in, makes friends, that’s mainly it, to start with, before all the hard work starts.

“It is difficult to have her be so far away from me. I worry a lot but I know she’s sensible and hardworking. I’m sure she’ll take care of herself and be responsible.”

Siya: “I’m happy to be somewhere new. I love home but I’m ready to spread my wings now. And medical school has been my dream for so many years so I’m happy to be able to live it now.”