Birmingham students are amongst the most economical in the UK

Birmingham students have been ranked amongst the country’s top scrimpers

UoB students are revealed to be the fourth most economical in the UK.

Brum students have become masters at stretching their pennies further, according to the latest NatWest survey.

The NatWest Student Living Index, ranked Birmingham as the 4th best university in the UK, in terms of saving money.

The top spot went to Glasgow, followed by Brighton and Edinburgh, yet Birmingham still made it in to the top five despite students spending four and a half times more than they earn.

Maybe we’ve adapted to our “shanty town” surroundings?

The study by NatWest shows that students are spending approximately £24.60 on weekly groceries, based on an average count of 2,236 students.

However, The Tab didn’t know whether to be pleased or disappointed in the Index’s finding regarding alcohol, which showed that Birmingham was one of 12 universities whose students spend under £10 a week on drink.

Perhaps we’re just blessed with bargain prices- hats off to Drinks 2 Go!

There are many reasons for our money-saving abilities, one being that public transport to and from student accommodation and popular areas is less than at many other universities.

The fact that thousands of students live in walking distance from the university is another unusual bonus compared with rivals Warwick, where the daily trip to uni can be a tedious 1 hour commute during rush hour.

The layout of the campus also lends itself to cost-cutting, as student are able to walk to different lectures- a welcome  contrast to a city based site.

Speaking to The Tab, a student from the distance shores of Liverpool spoke enviously of the findings.

Second year biochemistry student, Charlotte Dawson, said: “We have to catch a bus to every lecture, which can cost upwards of £330 a year. It’s very frustrating.

“The uni put on a bus service but don’t offer any help with the payment.

“I’m pretty jealous about the set up at Birmingham, I’m sure my money would go further if we had the same here in Liverpool.”

The perks of a campus uni

Amongst the host of factors behind our scrimp and save culture, it seems that living in “ghettoville” (Selly Oak) is also another unexpected perk.

With bargain stores and supermarkets littered around Selly Oak, it’s not hard to stock up on food without breaking the bank.

Cost-cutter shopper and second year biology student, Sarah Turned said: “It’s really convenient having an Aldi nearby, I spend much less than I did when I shopped at Tesco last year.

“It’s also great for cheap alcohol so pre-drinks doesn’t have to cost me a fortune.”

We’ve all taken to the German gastronomer it seems

Discussing the saving habits typical of a UoB student, first year english literature and classics student, Ian Hastead, said: “When I cook I do a big meal and save as much as I can for another day.

“With regards to nights out, I normally have a large pre-drinks with home brand beer or frosty jacks and then buy as few drinks as possible, or take advantage of any VIP offers on the nights out.

“I was going to bring my motorbike but I’ve decided to walk or use a push-bike.”