Made in Selly Oak

Take a look at some of the celebs that are straight outta Selly

From famous comedians to established politicians, all of our beloved alumni graced our humble student abodes once upon a time:

Leading the Selly syndicate is our very own Ann Widdecombe, who completed a BA Latin in 1969.

Famously made her name for ‘dancing’ on Strictly but also known as being an MP for more than 20 years.

Likely Road: Standard, top-end Heely Road. Having to be determined to make those 9ams

Continuing the entertainment theme, another Oak Oldie is music legend Simon Le Bon, who completed a BA Drama in 1980.

Lead singer in your Dad’s favourite band Duran Duran.

Likely Road:  Above Roosters on Bristol Road for times when you are ‘Hungry like the Wolf’ (I’m sorry)

Next on our Selly Oak Hall of Fame, a man that was a permanent feature of prime time television throughout the 1990s.

We all cherish the memories of our parents shouting at the TV screens growing up and the euphoric feeling of guessing an answer right.

Chris Tarrant graduated in 1967 with a BA English.

Likely Road: Low down on Dawlish Road, close to all the pubs for a good pub quiz!

Another TV legend, Lizo Mzimba who received a BA Law.

Providing bite size nuggets of knowledge on the top news stories for generation Y through the institution that is ‘Newsround’.

Likely Road: Amongst all the action on Selly Hill Road

A Laurence Olivier Award winning Actress but probably best known for her roles in Green Wing, Episodes and Friday Night Dinner.

Tamsin Greig received a BA Drama from UoB.

Likely Road: Closest to the Guild for all those rehearsals and shows, Bournbrook it is!

Brief appearance on The Apprentice but let’s not taco’ bout it (I’m so sorry).

Our most recent addition to the Selly Squad is our very own Tim Stillwell BSc International Business 2011, loved by students for giving them what they crave out of the back of his van- the Burrito Man!

Likely Road: Wherever the burrito van pitches up…

Finally our last Selly Oak alumni has the nation laughing every week on the box.

Chris Addison, BA English 1994, is one of the best comedians around at the moment and we heard him here first.

Likely Road: Right in the heart of the Selly social life on Alton Road