Meet the Birmingham Library Hermit: student has lived in the library for SIX WEEKS

He has literally been living there after his brother challenged him to pass his exams for £30,000

• Offered £30k by his wealthy  brother to live in library for six weeks
• Needs average of 70% in all of his exams just to pass his degree
• Anonymous Hermit is only allowed out of the library for an hour a day

He’s the big name around Birmingham Uni that nobody actually knows.

The UoB Library Hermit is set to finish his six-week revision marathon this weekend, after his endeavours quickly earned him fame on campus and beyond.

Meet Mr. Anon

The mystery man is a failing third year student who has been promised £30,000 by his high-flying older brother just to pass his degree, but on the condition that he had to eat, sleep and live in the Library for the entire third term.

I know what you’re all thinking: you’d give your right hand for an opportunity to win that much cash.

But this cave dweller requires an average of 72% just to pass his degree, due to a somewhat “laid-back” approach to his previous years, which has certainly ramped up the pressure in what is already a daunting challenge.

Speaking about the challenge the Hermit said: “I fucked up. I fucked up big time. For a number of reasons (mostly alcohol related), I am very, very, very close to failing my degree, and throwing away around 30 grand on my student loan.

[tabpuff pound_puff=”0″ select_type=”tag” select_value=”puff” ]

“I was ready to admit defeat. I called my older brother, who works for a top law firm, and explained to him my situation.

“But as I was crying to him down the phone, he offered to pay off my entire student loan if I pass my degree, but on the condition that I have to live as a Hermit for the next six weeks.

“What a wanker, he knows that I’ve never spent more than six minutes in the Library, let alone six weeks.

“Mind you, he has only just turned 30 and has a job that pays just under two hundred grand a year, so of course he’s a wanker.”

The Hermit’s prison

In order to escape the confines of his five-storey jail cell, this book worm has spent the last six weeks voicing his frustrations through his own Facebook page, which now has 15,000 likes – a following larger than a medium sized town.

Through his daily posts, the Hermit has shared his ups and downs throughout the six weeks.

Many have rallied behind the Hermit like a cult idol, however some of his posts have provoked anger, particularly from UoB’s feminist society, for alleged “misogynistic” comments.

But despite this torrent of criticism, the Hermit has stood by his outspoken comments throughout – his favourite response to the haters is “blow me.”

Got no time for haters

While he may stand accused of sexism, for the most part the Hermit has become Birmingham’s sweetheart, as his often lengthy and philosophical posts have won over the hearts and minds of his peers.

And the fan base doesn’t just stop at casual encouragement on his wall, this Hermit has become the number one ladies man, his “touching” posts landing him a female fan club that Hugh Hefner would be proud of.

The perks of being the biggest name in Brum

Whether you’re a lover or a hater, the Hermit’s posts have certainly provided term-long entertainment for the masses.

When he’s not infuriating feminist-kind, the Hermit has managed to get himself into some pretty comical situations.

A notable tale involved his mates younger sister’s breasts, scissors, moisturising lotion and disabled toilets, and running through the library frantically at 5am:

Does she do bookings?

But while there may have been plenty of funny moments, the Hermit has had a pretty roller-coaster ride in the scheme of things.

In order to hit the daunting bench mark of 70%, he’s been revising for up to 15 hours a day, whilst surviving on as little as 4 hours sleep in order to keep his identity a secret.

It’s the mental aspect of the task that appears to have been the greatest challenge however, as the Hermit has continually shared his thoughts and personal conflicts over issues regarding his future ambitions and private life.

In week four he contemplated quitting the challenge, saying: “I’ve been feeling really down recently, and this week I’ve been having pretty negative thoughts, mood swings and I’m beginning to lose hope over whether I will pass or not.”

While discussing his dreams of becoming a writer, the Hermit has had to battle through fears of failure, and the expectation and pressure he feels to please those around him.

“I sat on the steps of the library looking out at campus. Looking, but not seeing. My mind was focused on what it is that I want to do with my life. Do I want to follow my dream as a writer, or stick with my long-lost childhood dream of joining my Uncle’s crew?”

In many ways he has voiced fears that many of us students share, at a time in our lives where we are under enormous pressure to make something of ourselves.

Encouragement from his supporters

Despite the initial optimism the Hermit expressed when The Tab first met with him five days into the challenge, undoubtedly he has experienced times of real hardship.

But drawing near to the end of his stay the Hermit told us that his revision was continually being distracted by the “reminder of just how much I have to do and how unlikely it is that I’m going to pass.”

After weeks of “eating, sleeping and shitting” in the library, it’s fair to say he has shown real determination to see the six weeks out, spurred on by the help and support of his thousands of supporters.

And regardless of whether he passes or not, he certainly deserves the respect of his peers and family alike.

Definitely time to enjoy a well earned break

The Hermit is leaving the Library this weekend after completing his final exams, and has agreed to reveal all to The Tab in an exclusive interview. Is it a hoax? Does he have a face? We’ll soon find out.

After six weeks of waiting students will finally have the chance to see this year’s biggest talking point.

So for those of you pulling your hair out or contemplating the meaning of life this exam season, it’s time to put things in perspective.

Spare a thought for the Hermit, and make sure to wish him the best of luck in his exams- he’s definitely earned it.