Petrified female student escapes vicious attacker on Tiverton Road

A female student fended off a violent thug on her doorstep in the early hours of Wednesday morning, in yet another shocking attack in Selly

| UPDATED exclusive
  • The second attack on a lone female student within a week
  • Another incident in a growing Selly crime wave
  • Reports of similar incidents on Dawlish and Hubert Road
  • Police urge students to call 101

Another traumatised female student was attacked on Tuesday night, following a spike in serious crime that continues to plague the Selly community.

The student was left struggling to defend herself as a thug attempted to break into her house.

The ordeal follows last week’s shocking armed robbery, an assault on campus, and another attack on a female student – a series of events which have rocked the student community.

The road on which the victim encountered her attacker

The assault took place at 3 am when the victim was returning from a night out at Players Bar.

The student (who wishes to remain anonymous) returned home with friends in a taxi, where she was dropped no more than 20 metres from her house.

On separating from her friends, she proceeded to walk the short distance home, only to be taken by surprise when opening the front door.

The thug, believed to a mixed-race male in his twenties, ambushed the student. He then wrestled her into the house, where she struggled to fight him off.

As both attacker and student stumbled into the house, she was able to strike him with her elbow. Falling backwards, the attacker tumbled down a series of steps and out of the door, which the victim then slammed shut.

The thug then proceeded to flee from the scene on foot.

Luckily the victim’s quick thinking and bravery ensured she wasn’t hurt or injured seriously.

The victim was wrestled through the front door by her attacker

The victim’s sleeping housemates were alerted to the ordeal, when she was found crying hysterically outside of a bedroom door.

Speaking to The Tab, one housemate said:

“I found her crying hysterically, she was very shaken and frightened. She was so scared that she had to sleep in my bed.

“I’m just glad she was able to defend herself, otherwise it could have been so much worse.”

She added that her friend had been visibly traumatised by her ordeal:

“We are all very concerned, she doesn’t want to leave the house.

“It’s understandable, she got a taxi straight to the front door – even that hasn’t stopped it from happening this time around!”

Not even a taxi home prevented this incident

More worrying still, the victim’s housemate also told us that she has heard of several other similar incidents on Hubert and Dawlish.

“The worst thing is I’ve had friends who have had this happen to them, but because the culprit was unsuccessful they never reported it to the police.

“Students need to start taking this seriously and start contacting the police should this kind of incident happen.”

When informed that there had been similar unreported incidents, a Police Officer at the scene remarked that he was “shocked”  that they had not been informed and that students must come forward should this happen to them.

Are the incidents related? All three roads are next to one another

The victim’s housemate added that she felt her own safety was now in jeopardy following the attack:

“It’s definitely frightened me, I’m on crutches at the moment. If I had been attacked there’s no way I could of defended myself, I feel like I’m a prime target.

“I was going to go out to a friend’s pre-drinks tonight – there’s no chance of that now.

“I don’t want to walk home in the dark any more. You’re not even safe in a group!”

Follow @sellyoakpolice on Twitter for updates on recent crime

Speaking to The Tab, Sergeant Simon Williams has repeatedly reassured students that the police have stepped up their presence and are doing all they can to combat the spike in serious crime.

He also implored students to work with the police:

“Students are the eyes and ears of our community.

“We need you to come forward if you see suspicious behaviour or witness an incident.”

In order to stay safe, students are advised to walk home in groups and stick to well-lit roads and areas. Make sure all valuable items are hidden from sight at all times.

The Police have also issued a press release with more details on the recent crime wave.

Follow The Tab on Facebook and Twitter for more breaking news stories.