Review: The Comedian

Last week at the GMTG, The Tab’s Ella Cohen was both heightened to laughter and reduced to tears, as she reviewed Josh Sood’s dramatic production: ‘The Comedian: A New Musical’

I have never seen a student-written musical before today; but without knowing what to expect, The Comedian certainly impressed. When taking into account all the different aspects that writing, performing, directing and staging a musical entails, The Comedian  certainly delivered on all fronts.

McConnell’s stellar stand-up ‘ARGHHHH!’

The Comedian was written and directed by Leo West and Josh Sood, two Birmingham students who have clearly given up much of the last year to put together this piece; and in my opinion this labour of love has paid off.

This story at first seems fairly predictable and simple, although I actually failed to appreciate that a musical called The Comedian would obviously be about a comedian. It follows the rise and fall of  Tim Adams (Matt McConnell) and the problems and pressures he faces once he hits the big time.

McConnell, a first year making his debut in this performance, held the stage well, particularly shining in his final heart wrenching scene, which was shocking to watch.

Getting steamy on stage

A highlight for me and my housemates was definitely the song where Tim proposed to his girlfriend Hannah (Megan Probert); almost reducing me to tears. Pathetic romantics we may be, but the emotional reaction it provoked also shows the power of the interaction between McConnell-Probert.

The portrayal of the relationship  between the two shone through the entire performance, as the audience watched a bitter love triangle play out between McConnell, Probert and Ciaran Cresswell- who played villain and love rival Oliver ‘Ollie’ Lowe.

The villain goes in for the kill

It doesn’t end well

Probert’s performance was strong throughout, remaining in character despite a microphone mishap in the second half of the performance, which meant she was inaudible for an entire song. Not that this impacted the running of the play, as she seamlessly continued, not allowing the confusion to faze her.

For a student production this level of professionalism was impressive. This was something that echoed through many aspects of the production. The details such as the lighting, set moving, costume changes and musical interludes ran smoothly, giving off an air of professionalism I was not expecting before the show.

News Flush!

Whilst the acting was concrete, what really carried the show was the quality of the musical numbers. In particular the large ensemble numbers were strong, a favourite being the interaction between all the comedians during the TV show ‘News Flush’. The hook was extremely catchy and remained in my head for the rest of the day.

Whilst the performance was strong overall, it did seem to drag a little towards the end of the second half. This can only to be expected from a play of nearly three hours; maybe it was just my waning attention span rather than a reflection on the play itself. However redemption came in the last few scenes, which were both moving and powerful.

The Comedian greatly impressed, and was a very enjoyable way to spend a Saturday afternoon. The only question remaining is where it will be showing next- surely this run is not the last we will see of such a strong musical production!

The cast, crew and superhero band

The Comedian was performed in the Debating Hall of the Guild of Students from 25th February to 1st March 2014.

Photographs by Charlotte Wilson.