Lessons I learned at Carnage

Carnage is chaos – here are some tips to help you steer your way through

carnage night out our night out student survival guide

Sod the theme

Firstly don’t bother getting dressed up as a playboy or a bunny girl, you know that any accessory you wear will be stolen – it’s more or less guaranteed.

I would have been devastated to get my bunny ears and tail stolen.

Much safer attire

Avoid Popworld

I’ve always been indifferent towards Popworld; my memories consisted of Peter Andre and Busted songs fusing together to form the shittiest pop song of all time.

However after entering a depressingly empty Popworld, we moved on swiftly to try and find some atmosphere.

Generic Pop Anyone?

Act sober

A successful pre-drinks should ensure intoxication for the whole duration of Carnage, but subsequently, that means testing your acting skills. A good actor has to stay in character. You are that responsible young adult who isn’t seeing double after downing that dirty pint. Avoid speaking to the bouncer- that will always be the biggest give-away when you’re drunk, a simple yes or no will do.

Bulk buy at the bar

The night got considerably better once we were in Lloyds Bar, which started slow but got insanely busy thereafter. I learned the hard way. Always double or triple your drinks when you first go in. Within a space of 10 minutes Lloyds was packed and I couldn’t even make out the bar; so don’t make the same mistake I did. It was the same at Walkabout: get the drinks in early!

Good luck

Don’t let yourself become a third wheel

I was in Risa ‘attempting’ to dance with my mates when circumstances beyond my control rendered me the tragic third wheel. It wasn’t just me; for some unexplained reason Risa became centre stage for random hookups.

Everywhere I looked it gradually got worse; from face-eating to foreplay.

So make sure you stick with friends who aren’t inclined to ditch you the instant a suitor appears.

Doing my thing

Choose wisely

It was nearing the end of the night, I was out of dance moves and people were slowly dispersing towards there next priority; food.

Stating the obvious but remember not to get ripped off; there were many places offering discounts and reductions for greasy food. So why pay more for something you won’t remember eating (cough* Dominos*cough), with the addition of reducing the dreaded hangover in the morning.  

If you follow these lessons you hopefully won’t end up like these guys: