Review: The Incredibles 48 Hour

Ella Cohen was blown away by this incredible production!

The latest 48 hour production to grace the Underground was a witty adaptation of the popular children’s film ‘The Incredibles’. For those who have not had the pleasure of viewing this animation (shame on you, go sort that out now!) it tells the story of ‘The Incredibles’, a superhero family trying to live a normal life in a world hostile to the superhero community.

In the course of the play, the audience were entertained by watching the family confront all the problems you can imagine having whilst trying to blend in and hide your superpowers. Whether it is reducing your speed when you are the fastest person around, (Dash) reigning in flexibility, (Mrs Incredible) suppressing super strength, (Mr Incredible) or trying to remain visible when all you want is to disappear, (Violet).

Dash: Does my bum look big in this?

In keeping with the superhero theme, the narrator of this production was a rather disillusioned Superman, played by David Williams, who throughout the play made subtle yet hilarious, digs at the characters whose story he was attempting to tell. In his opening monologue, an amusing reference was made to his weakness, having to wear glasses, despite being ‘super’.

Not so super?

As always, topical references were littered throughout the performance, a personal favourite feature of the 48 hour productions. Particularly great was the frustration of the superheroes at the confusing labeling of chip portion sizes at Joe’s, why, they exclaimed can’t they just be small, medium and large! This got a good laugh from the audience, myself included.

The happy couple

Another highlight was the stand out performance by Mr Incredible himself, Jake Williams, who managed to stay in character even when performing his neck nomination live on stage. Few people could down a pint and keep the jokes a flowing so effortlessly. I mean I can’t even down a pint. Considering the size of his part, he was on stage for the majority of the scenes. Williams was excellent, consistently having the audience in stitches with his charisma and great chemistry with his leading lady, Sarah Huxley. The parts of the performance that received the loudest laughs were without doubt the scenes with Edna Mode, played by Jade Goddard. Her and the ‘Fairy Gok Mother’, Nick Williams, added sparkle to the second half of the play, with Goddard’s accent being perfectly pitched for the role.

They’ll save you from every fashion emergency

Overall, this 48 hour production yet again impressed, and it was a great way to spend a dreary Sunday evening. I am already looking forward to the next production.

Whole cast pose for a cheesy end of show picture

‘The Incredibles’ was performed on the 9th February in the Underground, Guild of Students. Directed and scripted by Lucinda Curley and Anthony Keen.