They’re at it again: Defend Education occupy another university building

Defend Education are in occupation once more

Update: The University have given the occupiers their first warning by letter, as they dispute the students’ definition of university boundaries.

Screen Shot 2014-01-23 at 00.52.24

Defend Education have occupied the university’s Horton Grange centre in continuation of their campaign against increased tuition fees and unfair pay cuts.

The group occupied the building on Edgbaston Park Road at approximately 10pm this evening.

This follows their occupation of the Senate Chamber in the Aston Webb building, which resulted in six students facing disciplinaries from the university.

In a statement, Defend Education said: “This most recent occupation is occurring in order to continue Defend Education’s demands of which the University have only fulfilled one, but also in protest against the disciplinaries that the University of Birmingham have issued against six students, each with varying levels of participation in the previous actions.

“The campaign continues to grow, despite repression by the university over recent weeks and months.”

The statement continues, “the number of students joining in our actions has exploded, to the degree that no previous occupiers are in the current occupation at all! For this reason the occupation does not apply to this occupation.

“Actions at the University of Birmingham will be maintained over the coming weeks and months with the upcoming national demonstration on the 29th where hundreds of students from around the UK will continue the protests.”

More to follow on The Tab