Back of the net: third year called up to England squad

A Brum third year SPECS student has been called up the women’s England senior squad

Third year SPECS student and superstar Izzy Christiansen has received her first call-up to the England Women’s senior squad for a training camp in Spain.

The camp will feature a friendly against Norway, which will be manager Mark Sampson’s first test as England boss after replacing Hope Powell last month.

England are currently top of their group with a 100% record in the fight for qualification for next year’s World Cup in Canada.

The UB Sport Scholar can bear an even bigger grin as she cuts the ‘U23’ off her title

We caught up with Izzy whilst on Day 2 of her La Manga camp, and she told The Tab that the appointment of a new manager made it “an incredibly exciting time to be involved in women’s football in England, because of the added impetus it puts to working hard at club level, staying fit and playing well”.

She also told us of her excitement at the experience of being with the full squad, and her hopes to eventually establish a regular slot in in the coming years whilst balancing uni work and training at UoB’s Hi-Performance Centre.

Just like one of us! Izzy chills out in her Selly abode

It is the first time 22-year-old Izzy has been selected for the senior set-up after a youth career that saw her represent her country at every level from U17-U23.

This included appearances in two World Cups and both gold and silver medals in European Championships.

The Birmingham City star scored twice from midfield to play a key role in 2009’s tournament win in Belarus, including a crucial goal in the semi-final victory over Switzerland.

The third year SPECS student lining up for England at the U19 European Championships in Macedonia

Despite this glittering international record and impressive club performances this year, Izzy said that her call-up was “a massive shock” and that she “had no idea beforehand!”

Izzy in action for Team GB at the World University Games in Kazan

Izzy also told of the heartwarming story of how she received the incredible news: “I had a missed call and a voicemail because I was out training (appropriate!), and then I noticed an e-mail from the co-ordinations/liaisons officer at the FA… I had to read the e-mail three times before I could believe I wasn’t dreaming, then I just burst into tears!

“I was with my friend at the time and just kept on crying… I didn’t know what to say I was that happy! I then rang my parents and texted my brother, sister and all my family, it was a crazy time! My immediate reactions were just delight and overwhelm, I was very very pleased.”

Izzy was even happier than this when she read her e-mail for the third time

Congratulations for the UBSport Scholar have been raining in via Twitter.

Izzy belting out the national anthem – she’ll get to show off her vocals much more if new man Mark Sampson is impressed in La Manga

Izzy says that her immediate plans are more hard work and catching up on her studies at uni, so if you wanted to feel any more inadequate about how little work you’re getting on with, UoB’s latest sporting hero is getting some done whilst waiting for a training camp with England’s Senior Football Team.