Occupation could get them fines. Or worse, EXPELLED

Students involved in the occupancy of the Senate Chamber last term could face expulsion

Six students who blocked themselves into the University Senate Chamber are facing expulsion this week, as the university pursues disciplinary action against them.

As many as 150 students were involved in the protest but the university has singled out six individuals, thought to be Simon Furse, Hattie Craig and Kelly Rogers, of the protest group Defend Education, and three unknowns.

The six students are facing the initial stages of investigation this week, with interviews being conducted by the university with a view to pursuing sanctions against them.

If the investigations yield the evidence required, the university will pass the matter to the College Misconduct Commitee, who can implement community service, fines or even expulsion.

The group caused controversy after they had to be forcibly removed from the Aston Webb Building in November.

The group claim that they have been denied the use of recording equipment for these interviews, and are only now getting access to the charges against them.

In a recent Facebook post, Kelly Rogers claims that these charges include “use of a kettle inside the occupation”.

Defend Education have also released a petition to call a halt to the disciplinary action as the process is delayed over legal wrangles to do with recording.

Currently with 361 signatures, the group claim that the university have used “intimidating tactics” and action against them “infringes on a basic human right to protest peacefully”.

The letter from the University of Birmingham demanding the students comply with the injunction.

Hattie Craig, Vice President of Education, is weary of the stress caused to herself and the five others facing sanctions. She told the Birmingham Mail, “Many of them are in their final year and are currently writing their dissertations. This is causing a great deal of unnecessary pressure.”

The process is expected to conclude with the next few weeks.

The Tab will keep you updated with the outcome.