The Grinch: the 48 hour

Ella Cohen was blown away by The Grinch 48 Hour

The Grinch was my second viewing of a 48 hour production, and I had high expectations having been charmed by the previous production of Matilda. From the start, I knew I was in for a treat when the narrator (Jake Williams, as Cat in the Hat) broke into rhyme as he introduced the performance. He promised it would be ‘the best of plays’ and although I perhaps wouldn’t go this far, many moments of the play were highlights of my day.

Look what the cat dragged in

The Grinch, for people who are unfamiliar with him, is a green monster known for his lack of Christmas spirit and is tasked with stealing Christmas from the fictional town of Whoville.

Hilarity ensued. The attention to detail was amazing considering that this was only put together in 48 hours, in particular the use of spring onions as fingers for the Grinch (Nick Williams) stood out. Everywhere he went a faint whiff of onion followed; this was to be a truly 4D experience. In addition, the high ratio of Christmas jumpers to cast members helped to bring a festive spirit to the Underground and get the audience in the mood for the impending Christmas season. The props were also unorthodox and brilliant, like the use of a shopping trolley as the sleigh- I only wish I’d got a turn at being wheeled down the aisle.

Someone’s wearing very tight trousers

Nick Williams as the Grinch carried the play, having the audience in stitches with his great facial expressions and movement. The play’s use of interpretive dance was amazing, with Williams donning overalls and dancing to Beat It during one of my favorite scenes.

The script too was on fine form, with many topical references to the recent sombrero scandal, the banning of Blurred Lines and refusal of admittance to fab. Many giggles were had over that one in particular.

Oh no not the pudding

The narrator was also excellent, provided amusing background touches such as sipping casually from a bowl of milk whilst the action played out. Other strong performances came from the rest of the Whos and Hannah Fretwell was particularly great as Martha May, trying to deny her love for the Grinch.

grinch2

Overall, the performance ran pretty seamlessly, especially considering the lack of time given to rehearse as a cast. Lines were pretty much remembered and when forgotten (which happened approx 14 times from my tally) it did not disturb the running of the play. Yet again for me, Watch This had triumphed. I greatly enjoyed this lighthearted adaptation of a Christmas classic and I will definitely be coming back for the next one.

grinch5

The cast and crew