Needle Attacks on Broad Street

A series of violent needle attacks have been happening on Broad Street

Police are on the hunt for a suspect after a series of needle attacks in Birmingham city centre.

A CCTV image of a man suspected of stabbing a woman in the thigh with a hypodermic needle on the 3rd of November has been released.

The bizarre assault has been linked to at least two other incidents and a further six people have since come forward reporting similar cases. They are all said to have taken place in the last six months.

Needle suspect

Detective Inspector Julie Woods said: “Although the women have not been left with any obvious physical injuries they have had to endure an agonising wait to check that they have not suffered any long-lasting health effects.

Whilst we have been unable to confirm exactly how the injuries were caused, it is believed that a hypodermic needle may have been used on each occasion, with young women being specifically targeted.

Due to the nature of the offences, victims have not realised they have been injured until hours or days later, which has resulted in limited lines of enquiry.”

Mike Olley, manager of the Broad Street Business Improvement District described the crimes as ‘sick’, but was pleased that it had not put people off visiting Broad Street and was keen to stress that business owners were putting extra security measures in place.

Superintendent Danny Long was also keen to reassure visitors, saying: “We have increased the number of officers on patrol in Broad Street and around the city centre, particularly since the attack earlier this month, and are working closely with street wardens, street pastors, licensees, door staff and clubbers themselves to keep people safe.”

Recognise either of the men? Call West Midlands detectives on 101. Stay safe, Selly.