xpLosION 2013: All you need to know

It’s one of the most hotly anticipated sporting events of the year, so don’t miss out

Xplosion

What?
One of the biggest student sporting events of the year, as UoB’s Lions take on last season’s plate-winners, the Nottingham Trent Renegades, in the seventh annual American Football curtain raiser.

With a pre-match show featuring the multi-award winning Pussycats Cheerleading squad, the Birmingham Dance Society, and a fireworks display that is likely to outshine the Vale’s on Thursday, it’s no surprise that it’s regularly attracted over 3000 spectators in its short history. The food stands and draught bar also mean you don’t ever have to leave. Also, it’s FREE!

When?

Saturday 2nd November. The festivities start at 4pm, with kick-off scheduled for 4.30.

Where?
The Bournbrook pitches, under the shadow of the Aston Webb building.

Why?
Laura Day, of the Birmingham Pussycats, told The Tab that “people should come to xpLosION as it is an exciting event for people of all ages. The combination of American Football, fireworks, cheerleading and dancing means there is something for everyone! The atmosphere is always wild – something you do not want to miss out on”

Alex Salter, a Birmingham Lion, also told The Tab the team are “absolutely buzzing to match up against NTU, after five weeks of preparation has made sure that we’re ready”, adding that he hopes “the crowds are ready too, to come down and see us come away with a massive W.”

Charlotte Wilson photography

If you want to see the National Champions for Cheerleading and American Football in one place, as well as six full Great British internationals, this is the place to be.

If you want to whet your Bonfire Night appetite for fireworks early, or experience an incredible, lively and fun atmosphere with over 3000 others, this is the place to be. If you want a quiet and boring Saturday afternoon in, probably steer well clear.