Stabbing in Selly Oak

Murder investigation launched after 18-year old man dies after stabbing last night (20th September)

A teenager dies after being stabbed to death in Selly Oak.

Police were alerted by the ambulance service just before 11pm to reports of an 18-year-old man who had been stabbed in Coronation Road, opposite TCs nightclub.

He was taken to hospital for treatment but unfortunately died in the early hours of 21st September.

It is reported the teenager was stabbed while attending a fundraising event for a 16-year-old friend who was killed in a knife attack exactly one year ago. The fundraiser was held to raise money for a headstone.

An 18 year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after handing himself in at Dudley police station at 11:45am on Saturday morning.

The motive for the attack still remains unclear.

The victim was taken to hospital for treatment but unfortunately died in the early hours of 21st September.

An area of Coronation Road remains cordoned off whilst officers continue to investigate the circumstances that led to his death.

Rookery Road off limits

Speaking to officers at the scene they are unsure how long investigations will go on for stating to residents, ‘it could be hours or days.’ They refused to give out any more information at the scene.

Limited access is available with residents being signed in and out of the area.

However, students have been advised to not be worried about returning to the heavily University populated area.

Officers are keen to hear from anyone who was at TCs last night or who witnessed the stabbing.

Detective Inspector Gary Plant, from Force CID,said: “ We are in the very early stages of our investigations and are appealing to anyone with any information are urged to call police by dialling 101’

The man’s family have been informed and a post mortem will be conducted in due course.

The murder investigation continues during ‘moving in’ week for the university.