Unay Of The Year

The Times and The Sunday Times have handed out quite the accolade to us lot

The University of Birmingham has been named University of the Year 2014 in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide. Huzzah!

The 2013/14 academic year is a fine time to be a student of the University of Birmingham, especially for graduates, as employers see that we come from a university that has steadily risen in the rankings and has great student satisfaction feedback.

In the Times Good University Guide 2013, Birmingham ranked 24th out of 116 universities surveyed – but this year has rocketed eight places, coming 16th nationally.

Look, so pwetty…

We are privileged enough to sit in the top ten for graduate prospects, with 80.8% of students going on to professional work or graduate study. This should make graduating a tiny bit less intimidating for our final-year students, knowing they stand in good stead to earn some sort of living.

The University of Birmingham also finished just outside of the top ten in the country for the percentage of students gaining a first or 2:1 (78.8%).

Judges praised the university for its attitude towards student recruitment this year when it made over 1,000 unconditional offers to applicants who were predicted to get at least AAA at A-level. We’re getting in the brainboxes, and, considering only 4.9% of students here do not complete their degree programmes, we’re keeping them, too.

We are also in the top ten for its facilities spend: £2,219 per student.

Our students even love it when it snows!

It’s not just The Times and The Sunday Times that are casting a favourable eye over the university at the moment. In the Guardian University Guide 2014 and The Complete University Guide 2014, we are ranked within the top 20.

University of Birmingham Vice-Chancellor Professor David Eastwood said: “Winning [this accolade] represents a huge team effort. The quality and innovation seen across Birmingham’s bold and sector-leading initiatives has been noted and applauded.

“Our performance as a university has improved on all the key measures.”

Keep those brainboxes coming. It’s a good time to be studying at UoB.