Poppy backs ‘Blurred Lines’ ban

The guild might soon be following Edinburgh SU’s decision to ban Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines in union buildings

Guild President Poppy Wilkinson says she will back a campaign to ban Robin Thicke’s No.1 hit single ‘Blurred Lines’ from playing in any student union building on campus.

Following Edinburgh’s decision to ban the song, she released a statement on the Guild President Facebook page saying: “I am happy to support a campaign to ban the song within the Guild of Students but would the message of a ban be lost without the context of a much wider campaign?”

Banned..Robin Thicke’s track can’t be played at Edinburgh

The song features sexist and degrading lyrics such as “He don’t smack that ass and pull your hair like that”, “Yeah, I had a bitch, but she ain’t bad as you” and “I’ll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two.”

Poppy added: “The decision seems to form part of a much wider campaign to tackle some of the issues that the controversial song has raised and I completely support their decision.

“It is very encouraging, and inspiring, to see a Student Union taking an active approach to a culture that can be, and is, damaging to students’ lives.

“I was elected to represent you, and your views so I’d like to open this up to discussion.”

Not everyone agrees with a ban on the song, Robbie Jones commented on Poppy’s Facebook post “censorship is never the solution.”

Daisy Lindlar defended the ban and said, “It isn’t about censorship – it’s about trying to prevent as much unnecessary stress to UoB students as possible. The fact is that to not play Blurred Lines won’t seriously offend students, but to play it could offend many.”

Poppy later commented on the post: “with regards to Fab we use the same DJs every week and we have a very good relationship with them so I think it would just be the case of having a conversation.

“Also, we definitely have a certain amount of control over Sub TV and have the ability make playlists. As far as I can see it would be relatively easy to implement.”

The Tab approached Poppy on a number of occasions for comment, however received no response.

The Tab also approached Women’s Officer Mae Rohani to comment but received no response.

Do you think the guild should ban ‘Blurred Lines’ from playing in union buildings? Comment below or tweet us @TheTabBrum