Moseley on down to the Scientology centre

Plans to convert an abandoned estate into a Scientology centre in Moseley have been back by the council.

If lectures aren’t enough to keep you stimulated, you can delve into some Scientology as well from next year.

Plans to convert an abandoned estate, which lies just 2 miles from campus in Moseley, into a Scientology centre have been backed by Birmingham city council.

A virtual image of the church of Scientology

Leaflets have been distributed throughout Selly Oak and the surrounding areas.

Had one of these through the door?

The church bought the property in 2007 and the centre is anticipated to open in 2014.

The estate will be transformed into a £6 million ‘Hubbard Guidance Centre’, named after the founder L. Ron Hubbard.

The painfully cringey American promotional video, accompanied by a soundtrack that should be on The Sims, opens: “London may have been the hub of the old British Empire, but Birmingham is and always will be the city that says working man’s England.”

Inside the church will be The Hubbard Guidance centre, “a wing dedicated to Scientology counselling, known as auditing.”

Scientology counselling room

As well as a chapel that  seats 140 people, the church will also contain a Scientology Academy “where they’ll soon be training auditors to serve the entire Midlands county.”

The church denies claims that it is a cult and said that the following in the West Midlands has increased by 25% in the last 10 years.

In the planning application Planning officer Pam Brennan wrote, “I consider that the proposed change of use of the vacant former Ideal Benefit Society offices to a religious education college and place of worship is a welcome addition to this part of Moseley…”

The UK spokesman of the sect, Graeme Wilson, said that “Scientology is the fourth highest ‘what is…?’ category on Google.

“We are meeting that demand by building new centres where people can easily find out about our religion and where they can study it.”

Ten residents objected to the plans and said that the Church of Scientology is not a recognised religion in this country.

Another objection was that it is “out of character with the totally residential area.”

The council did not take these objections further, as they said that the issue is not related to the planning, and have recommended the plans for approval.