Super-rich alumni put Brum in top ten

Uni’s ‘ultra-high net worth’ grads put us 10th in league table for fat cats

Are the essays and exams worth it? Are you staring out the window wishing it was all over?

Fear not, for if you can stick it out to the end you’ve got a high chance of becoming one of the richest people in the UK.

Brum sits 10th in the wealth league

Birmingham alumni are among some of the richest in the country, a survey of university graduates claims.

The Wealth-X UK University Ultra-High Net-Worth (UHNW) Alumni Rankings is both a lengthy title and a report that places Birmingham 10th on the wealth ranking.

Together, our 68 UHNW grads are worth $7.2 billion (£4.6b) and have an average individual war chest of $106m (£68.5m).

A graduate needs $30m (£19.5m) to qualify as an UHNW individual. The average age of our super-rich alumni is 57.

Brum leads Durham, in 11th, and City University London, in 12th. Edinburgh has more rich alumni than us as they take 9th spot (but our grads are worth almost $1b more!)

Predictably, Oxford and Cambridge are top. Oxford has the highest number of UHNW alumni with 401 of the fat cats. Cambridge has the wealthiest, with 361 filthy-rich alumni sharing a pot of $93b (£60b).

Spare a thought for the University of Warwick in 20th, whose rich grads have only $1.9b (£1.2b) to their names.