Over 100 QUB students have been disciplined for breaking lockdown restrictions

Nearly £10k of fines have been dished out

The Belfast Tab can reveal that over 100 students at Queen’s University Belfast have faced disciplinary measures for breaking lockdown restrictions, as the battle against coronavirus continues.

As term began in September, QUB was the only university on the island of Ireland to facilitate face-to-face teaching.

This soon came to an end four weeks ago, as the Northern Ireland Executive introduced ‘circuit breaker’ restrictions which are still active.

The Belfast Tab understands, that since the beginning of term on September 21st that a total of 109 students have been disciplined for coronavirus related incidents.

The incidents have been spread across the term, as students have been organising house parties in response to clubs being closed to prevent the spread of the virus.

These parties have been in violation of both local restrictions, which the QUB Student Charter commits students adhere to.

Students have been fined following a resurgence in house parties, mostly in the Holylands

Within these sanctions, 90 students have received an Emergency Precaution Suspension.

Whilst 109 students have been disciplined, at present only 86 students have been notified of the extent of their disciplinary.

81 students have been fined £120, whilst receiving a written warning as well as conditional discharge for other offences.

The further five students have had their incidents redirected further to the Committee of Discipline.

Whilst 109 incidents have been recorded, it has been highlighted that 90 of these incidents have seen students suspended with further disciplinary outcomes given or pending, 19 of which received a disciplinary outcome but were not suspended.

A total of £9,720 has been issued in fines from QUB making it the second largest amount of fines given out by a UK university.

The highest was Oxford Brookes University who have dished out £18,950 of fines since the beginning of term.

The Northern Ireland Executive announced yesterday that circuit breaker restrictions are to be extended in reflection of rising cases.