Thompson’s and Limelight amongst number of Belfast bars closing on St Patrick’s Day

A day that every pub in Belfast would be buzzing with customers, will now be quiet

Amid the fears of the coronavirus, many popular Belfast pubs have decided to close their doors on one of the busiest days of the year, St. Patrick’s Day. A day that every pub in Belfast would be buzzing with customers, will now be quiet. 

One of the most popular bars in Belfast, Lavery’s, made a Facebook post reading; “In light of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic we will not be opening our doors on St.Patrick’s Day. In the interest of the health & wellbeing of our staff and you, our customers, we believe it’s the responsible decision given the current situation. Stay safe and we’ll update our social media channels as the situation develops.

Along with this both The Botanic Inn and The Hatfield House had events organised for 17th March but have decided it is in the best interests of their customers to postpone anything arranged and keep their doors shut to the public.

“We will celebrate together again when the time is right.” The Botanic Inn’s Facebook post read.

The Hatfield House spoke out and said: “Despite our exceptional team of staff and stringent hygiene and health and safety measures we do not believe that we could adequately enforce the suggested guidance of 2m social distancing role on such a busy day- the Hatfield House will be closed on Tuesday 17 March.

“We would, therefore, encourage all our customers to celebrate St Patrick’s day in a different way this year- stay at home, stay indoors and stay safe! It is a difficult time but we will get through this together by being sensible, being safe and following Government guidance.”

Thompson’s Garage, the first club to announce their closure for St. Patrick’s day made a post on their Facebook and Instagram. “Stay safe party people and look after your loved ones.”

Within the last few hours, Limelight Belfast have made the decision to close their club and Katy’s Bar both 16th and 17th March.

Soon after this TIME, The Belfast Empire, Cuckoo and Kelly’s Cellars announced their closure.

This is undoubtedly only the first wave of bars and clubs deciding that closing their doors is in the best interests of their customers.