The first case of coronavirus has been confirmed in Northern Ireland

The patient is being treated in the Royal Victoria Hospital

Northern Ireland’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Michael McBride, has made a statement confirming the first positive testing for coronavirus in Northern Ireland.

The case brought the total number of positive tests to 16 in the UK, however following two more in England and the first diagnosis this morning in Wales, the figure now stands at 19.

It is believed that the woman who flew into Dublin Airport, following a trip to Northern Italy, took steps to self-quarantine before seeking the advice of their GP.

The patient is being treated in an isolated ward in the Royal Victoria Hospital, where security will be increased, to prevent the spreading of any positive testing of the virus.

The Royal Victoria Hospital in South West Belfast where the first patient for Coronavirus in Ireland is currently being treated

In an interview on BBC Radio Ulster’s, “Good Morning Ulster” programme, Dr. David Irwin from the Public Health Agency outlined the prevention strategy which has been put into immediate effect.

He said, “Efforts will be made to identify those who would have been in close proximity to that person.”

Despite the first diagnosis on the island, Dr. McBride said, “The risk of the population of NI has not changed as a result of this presumptive positive test result.”

Further in the statement, Dr. McBride noted that the diagnosis had not been made in relation to any school ski trip.

This comes after schools across the country such as Limavady Grammar School and Banbridge Academy have sent students on the trip into fourteen day quarantine as preventative measure, following the trip.

The trip to Milan raised a number of flags, as there have been over 500 cases recorded now throughout Italy.

Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer in the Republic of Ireland said that officials would be making contact with with passengers who sat within two rows of the individual on the plane from Italy to Dublin.