Liam Neeson to be removed from QUB prospectus after interview controversy

He confessed he waited outside pubs looking for ‘a black b*stard’ to kill

Hide Images

Liam Neeson will not appear in the 2020 prospectus for Queen's University Belfast, despite initial plans to include him.

The host of BBC Radio Ulster's Nolan show claimed to have "inside information" that instructions were given to remove Neeson from the 2020 edition of the prospectus, where he was set to appear in the "heritage and heroes" section.

Neeson was widely criticised for an interview with The Independent, in which he described how he once waited outside pubs armed with a cosh looking for a "black bastard" to kill after learning his friend had been sexually assaulted by a black man.

Neeson appearing on ABC denying allegations of racism

Neeson told The Independent his "primal" anger lasted around a week, and said he was ashamed of it. He denies allegations of racism, saying he was being honest, and that "people should stop being so politically correct".

He said: “It was horrible, horrible, when I think back, that I did that. And I’ve never admitted that, and I’m saying it to a journalist. God forbid.”

The former QUB student was promoting his film Cold Pursuit, in which his character seeks revenge for the murder of his son. Neeson said he related to the feelings of his character.

Neeson was a student at Queen's University Belfast in 1971, studying Physics and Computer Science, but dropped out to work full time prior to graduating.

In 2009 he received an honorary doctorate from the university for outstanding contribution to the arts. He was featured in the 2018/2019 prospectus in their "heritage and heroes" section.

Queen's University Belfast has been contacted for comment.