Holylands residents complain of ‘all-day and all-night partying’

They say Freshers’ Week was just as bad as last year

Hide Images

Belfast City Council figures show that 36 anti-social behaviour complaints, 32 of which were noise complaints, were received between 24th September and 3rd October this year.

The figures were first reported in the Belfast Telegraph and show a drop from the 56 complaints that were made during the same period last year.

The College Park Avenue Residents' Association argues that the reported 33% drop in these complaints across the student area is "unbelievable". Chairwoman Brid Ruddy said: "Freshers' [week] has been just as bad as last year".

The current UK law states that night hours are from 23:00 until 07:00 BST, but Ms Ruddy says this is "insufficient", as residents were forced to listen to "all-day parties".

"People have rung during the day because there is all-day and all-night partying but the team can't come out because the legislation doesn't kick in until after 23:00.

"Many friends and neighbours have stopped complaining because it's a waste of time.

There is enormous noise here and I do not believe it has gone down. The number of calls may have gone done but they need to change the legislation."

The Belfast City Council responded to Ms Ruddy's comments, stating that changes to the legislation were a matter for the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs and that residents are "free to report all ASB problems including excessive noise at any time, our officers will investigate and take the appropriate action that is required".

Ulster University (UU) said that as well as its partnerships with the PSNI, Belfast City Council, Queen's University and the Belfast Holyland Regeneration Association, it has added a new officer to engage with its students and residents in the Holylands area.

They said that students were given "a comprehensive programme of workshops and information sessions to ensure they are all fully aware of their responsibilities and the risks of engaging in anti-social behaviour".

A spokeswoman said: "UU does not tolerate anti-social behaviour and has robust disciplinary processes in place to deal with any incidences, as and when they are reported to us by the council.

"This year we have seen a significant decrease in the number of reports of anti-social behaviour from the noise team at Belfast City Council in comparison to the same time period last year and continue to investigate reports and complaints that are brought to our attention."

Queen's University Belfast has two members of staff committed to monitoring the student area on the ground as well as eight who will help during Freshers' Week and other key times of the year.

They said they fully investigate any complaints or reports of anti-social behaviour and they implement a strict off-campus disciplinary code.

Belfast City Council said it had dealt with 16 complaints itself (most of which have been warnings) and three referrals were made to the PSNI: two relating to noise and one in relation to antisocial behaviour. 15 referrals were made to higher education institutions.