QUB is the ninth best uni in the country for dealing with mental health

According to our 2017 Mental Health Rankings

Hide Images

QUB is the ninth best university in the country for helping students with mental health issues, according to the results of our 2017 Mental Health Rankings.

Alongside rankings ninth out of the 47 universities in the rankings, QUB also spends the fourth most per applicant to its mental health services – £584.60.

Now in its second year, it is the only study to assess UK universities' ability to care for students with mental health issues.

The mental health and well-being of students has finally become a conversation at universities. Universities have a duty of care for their students, and mental health falls squarely under this.

In our new study, we aim to paint the truest picture of mental health at university, and how it's handled.

QUB's Student Guidance Centre

Over 9,000 students completed our mental health survey this year, and told us about their experiences.

The study involved gathering information about how well universities fund their mental health services, how long students have to wait for help, and how satisfied students are with their university's mental health services.

Inside the McClay library

QUB performed best in its finance of mental health services in comparison to other universities.

We found that eighteen universities spent less money per student than QUB, but only 3 spent more per applicant to the university's services. Our findings show that QUB spent £19.18 per student (the national average is £22.06), and £584.60 per applicant, above the average of £334.28.

As a result, QUB's finance score is 26.13 of a possible 40, above the national average of 17.29.

In terms of student satisfaction, QUB ranked 39 out of 47 in our survey. The uni scored 32.54 of a possible 40, against a national average of 34.55.

These overall results mean QUB was ranked as the 9th best uni of the 47 universities assessed for mental health services.

The university did not provide a comment in response to the rankings.