18 year old man arrested over car park murder of Hazem Ahmed Ghreir

The PSNI initiated a murder investigation after the man was stabbed to death

The violent crime occurred in a car park in the Downshire Place area near Bruce Street (opposite the Movie House on the Dublin Road) on Sunday evening at around 10.45pm.

The PSNI have named the victim as 31 year old Hazem Ahmed Ghreir, and have arrested an 18 year old male in connection with the incident, who is currently in custody in Musgrave PSNI station assisting detectives with their investigation.

The PSNI have ruled out race as a factor.

Detective Inspector Darren McCartney of the Serious Crime Branch,  who is leading the investigation, has said that the PSNI “do not believe race was an issue” and “are not treating this matter as a hate crime” at this stage.

He went on to appeal to the public for help with the investigation, stating, “We are continuing to investigate the murder of Hazem, who was in his 30s, and we would appeal to anyone who was in the Downshire Place vicinity of Great Victoria Street last night at around 10.45pm to contact police.

“I would also ask anyone who has any footage captured from the incident to get in touch.”

If anyone has any information, contact detectives at the incident room at Musgrave Street on 101 or, if you would prefer to remain anonymous please phone Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111.