Twelve Land Rovers and police in riot gear patrol Holylands

Tensions rise in the Holylands as police crackdown on anti-social behaviour in preparation for St Patrick’s Day

Last night residents of the Holylands were confronted with a heavy police presence on their streets, after drunken antics caused chaos.

The Belfast Telegraph reported seeing a student “sweeping up a broken glass table on the road just after 9.45pm.”

Chief Inspector Kellie McMillan criticised potential partiers for diverting police resources towards preventable behaviour: “These are police officers who are much better employed tackling crime on our streets, proactively patrolling our neighbourhoods and responding to emergencies,” she said when pressed on the issue.

“It is highly likely that what seemed like fun for some people last night could have significant and far reaching consequences for them in the future.”

The statement comes in the wake of increasing patrols throughout the entire Holylands area with as many as 12 police vehicles being seen patrolling simultaneously on Wednesday night.

The increased awareness of the issue comes after a student run Facebook page The Holylands Rock the Boat St Paddy’s 2017 has made an appeal to see more than 1700 partiers to gather in the Holylands in order to beat the world record for the largest Rock the Boat.

Permanent residents of the Holylands area are working with Queen’s University, Ulster University and the Belfast City Council to try and minimise potential disturbance.

Queen’s University, in an attempt to mitigate potential damages, has launched a campus wide campaign asking students to “Show respect to your neighbours, your community and yourself on St Patrick’s Day” paired with a picture of a despairing student branded with a bright red ‘SUSPENDED.’

A warning from QUB in the McClay

All eyes will be on the Holylands as St. Patrick’s Day approaches.