Woman raped in University Street area

Detectives are currently questioning a 25 year old man arrested on suspicion of rape

A woman was raped in the early hours of this morning in Belfast just after 12.40am. The horrific sexual assault took place in the doorway of a commercial premises in the University Street area.

The woman is aged in her 20s and a 25 year old man has been arrested on suspicion of the rape. The suspect is currently being held in custody assisting detectives with their investigation.

Sexual offences have been increasing in Northern Ireland over the past two years. According to the records of the Police Service of Northern Ireland, there were 773 recorded offences of rape in the period February 2015- February 2016, an increase of 8.1% from the previous 12 months.

Police are appealing to anyone with information to contact officers using the non emergency number 101 quoting reference number 19 07/03/17. Alternatively, information can be passed along anonymously via the independent charity Crimestoppers by dialling 0800 555 111.