Which Belfast takeaway has the lowest hygiene rating?

Find out who got a zero

Aside from bars and inter-faith conflict, the one thing Belfast does best is the takeaway. From classic frys, to amazing pizza, to brilliant burritos Belfast is always on point when you’re looking for some fast grub. Well, not always. There’s a few that don’t exactly express a devotion to quality care and control. By a few I mean the 21 takeaways in Belfast that score a 1 or lower on the food hygiene 0-5 rating system. Let’s take a look at a select few offenders.

Slums – 1 out of 5

It’s a shame that the Boojum competitor that focuses on Indian burritos has such low food hygiene score, coming in at a very disappointing one. This is in stark contrast to Boojum’s 5’s across the board (including for the food truck). While it seems like slums is aping some of Boojum’s style they are unfortunately not aping their standards of food hygiene. It sees like Boojum remains the king for now.

Let’s hope the queues not as long for the toilet.

PoundWorld – 1 out of 5

A one star review for PoundWorld is incredibly impressive considering that all food sold there is prepackaged. How can you manage a one star rating when the freshest thing you have on offer are 12 packs of niknaks? So yeah, you might get an extra dose of salmonella next time you buy a bulk pack of zig zags.

How can their hygiene be this bad?

Wok-A-Moley –1 out of 5

It stayed open to three and after a while, the owners let us turn over the youtube videos of X Factor highlights they had playing on repeat to whatever we wanted. To be honest, the signs were always there. I asked for vinegar once and the guy behind the counter handed me a Riverock bottle with two holes stabbed in the cap. It’s certainly not the worst place to eat on Bradbury Place and they have recently been inspected so hopefully a better score is on the way. For now though, maybe think about eating somewhere else

It looks like whoever painted the walls was on shrooms.

City Kebab – 0 out of 5

You’ve probably walked past this on your way home from Lavery’s or on your way to Students Union. Nestled beside the One Star Wok-a-moley it is recognisable by the slew of 90’s Trance hits pouring from it’s door. In a strange twist, the Five Star Rated Cyprus Kebab and Pizza plays dirty techno just up the road while the Zero Star City plays clean and serene bangers from Paul Van Dyk and Sasha.  If only their food was as fresh as their music taste. All joking aside though a zero star hygiene rating shows a near contempt for their customers that’s really hard to look past. I feel like I’ve bought a chip from there once, not sure as I would have been very drunk. You’d have to be for a one star rating I guess. Do not go there.

Dishonourable Mention – “KFC, Bradbury Place”

Luckily for this KFC outlet at the corner of Shaftsbury Square I couldn’t find their hygiene rating, but let’s all take a moment and remember the time a fucking foot long rat entered the premises while people were trying to order snack boxes. It seems like Bradbury Place really needs a cleanup doesn’t it?

‘Can I get a 12 piece family buck with two gravys and a corn on the cob?’