Queen’s in the top 250 universities in the world

Pretty good for us

In the Times Higher Education university rankings it has been revealed today that Queen’s no longer places within the top 200. Instead, Last year taking the 200 spot, Queen’s place is now in the much less coveted and vague 201-50 section of the rankings.

It is unclear as to why Queen’s has lost it’s place in the 200 but there is no doubt that some students will place part of the blame on the increasingly unpopular administration decisions of QUB’s Vice Chancellor Patrick Johnston.

Johnston became infamous this year for an incident in which he stated ‘Society doesn’t need anymore 21-year-old 6th century historians’ during an interview with the Belfast Telegraph. Further controversy was stirred by QUB’s decision to remove the Anthropology single honours degree. A decision which was overturned after 89% of students voted against it.

It had been revealed on the 19/09/2016 that Queens also plans to dump it’s BA in Sociology, a decision that has spurred a vociferous backlash from the student body.

It is unclear at this time whether the continued controversy surrounding QUB’s management has had an impact on it’s ranking, but either way these are not good signs for the university’s standing in the world of higher education.